Saturday, February 14, 2009

Riding the Korean Rails













There are certain types of travelers. The most common and even more importantly more successful travelers are the types who manage to plan effectively by doing proper research, and by doing things to maximize their time while spent traveling. The basic idea is that one has only a limited amount of time in a chosen place, therefore one would feel obliged to organize their trip as effectively as possible. I unfortunately usually fall into another category of travelers who don't plan effectively. Because of this I am sure there are many things I have missed during my time spent on this planet. The reason for this is because if I am traveling, I tend to feel like I shouldn't pay attention to a strict timetable. My entire life seems like a timetable, so if I am on a vacation why should I worry about time?

I only say this because there are a couple of great ways to get around Korea. The fastest and most effective way to shuttle yourself from town to town is of course by bus in Korea. Korean buses are some of the most comfortable and affordable buses in the world. In addition as a bonus they are amazingly frequent. When I traveled from Seoul to Suncheon last year, I was able to travel after midnight in just four hours to Suncheon. Without a doubt buses are a surefire effective way to get around in The Republic of Korea.

Despite this, I like to take the train. It's true; the train is a bit slower, has less departures, stops more, and even worse none of my foreign friends seem to take the train so I am always alone in this regard. What I want to impart to you though is that even though it might take as much as an entire hour more to roll into Seoul, the journey is abundantly more enjoyable when traveling. For those who don't have the burden of keeping to a regimented timetable, the train is a wonderful option to get around.

The amenities on a train are quite good to start; there is a small restaurant, with sandwiches, meals, drinks and snacks- there is even a small Internet cafe, and a few video games to boot. Also the windows are large and clean so you can enjoy the picturesque scenery while zipping through the country side. What is even nicer than the bus that you can always get up and stretch your legs and use the bathroom. Since buses only stop once, those with weaker bladders might find a train more convenient. Finally, for those traveling into Seoul will also find comfort that the trains come in right in the center of the city.

Despite the fact that most people will tell you that the buses in this country are better, I tend to enjoy the trains more. For me the journey itself to a destination is an important part of traveling. Although it can be viewed as a childish notion, I have to say then so be it. If it's childish to enjoy taking more time to reach a destination, then let the chips fall as they may, for I will keep doing my thing, because I am that kind of traveler.













No comments: