Wednesday, February 4, 2009

The Iron Curtains Are Still Closed!


I have always been curious about North Korea. Maybe it's a part of my nature. The fact that a place can be so closed, mysterious, and mixed with an uncertain element of danger has compelled me recently to attempt to take a closer look. There are books, documentaries, articles and other forms of media which will portray life in North Korea; usually in a frightful, violent, Orwellian manner. I have seen many of these films and am currently reading an ambitious book called:'Under The Loving Care of Our Fatherly Leader,' by Bradley K. Martin. From what I have seen, I tend to believe a lot of that is true. In my opinion it's scary how one man(The Dear Leader,) can indoctrinate an entire society in believing that their people have great lives and the rest of the world is worse off-In spite of North Korea's food and electricity shortages, starvation, mandatory ten year military service requirements, and total media censorship.

Of course, these problems are among the most typically known to outsiders. Other individuals seem to think there prison camps, executions of deserters, and police checks to insure citizens have the right 'thinking.' To me it all sounds like a huge military dictatorship. Isn't that what it is anyway? Regardless of the aforementioned information, to me what is significant is that who really 'knows,' what goes on in north Korea? From what I believe it isn't the utopia that the previous dear leaders reiterate, however iron curtains really keep thinks hidden. To me the more a thing is hidden the more I want to uncover it.

Recently I wanted to visit North Korea. There are groups that arrange visits routinely from Beijing, however the cost is too dear. Too dear to contribute to the(sorry for the pun) Dear Leader's cause. About 2000 Euro for five days to be exact. For that fee you will get a guide/guard, a hotel room, and food. The guide is instructed to keep an eye on you at all times during the day-you can not roam freely in North Korea. Anyway, I'm saving my change for my potential graduate education soon, so I opted out of the Pyongyang experience. Instead I decided to take a day trip to Panmunjom settled in DMZ area between the two Korea's.

You can arrange from one of a plethora of tour companies in Seoul a day trip to Panmunjom and around the DMZ area for around sixty dollars-including lunch. The buses depart in the morning from Seoul to make the 60 or so kilometer journey north and then return around 3pm. The DMZ area is 155 kilometers long and four kilometers wide. It stretches two kilometers into South Korea, and the Same in North Korea. Panmunjom is right at the edge of the wide part of the DMZ poking into North Korea.
From there in my opinion was the highlight of the tour. There is a lookout where you can watch North Korean Soldiers watching you. As my camera targeted one soldier he immediately turned his binoculars in my direction. It was this little reflex that made me feel a bit that this wasn't a game for them, in spite of the fact that I was just a silly tourist.


As the tour continued we stopped at another lookout and saw Kijungdong, which is better known as Propaganda Village. This is a village built by North Koreans, which is supposedly completely vacated, but was built to appear as a attractive, desirable place to reside. Nestled in the center of the village is the massive ubiquitous flagpole, which is touted as the highest in the world. Other stops included; the introductory slide show showcasing the history of the region, The Bridge of No Return(which was were the PO W's returned to their native country,) and signing waivers acknowledging that the tour group was not liable for my shooting by pointing at North Koreans gestures.

Finally I had lunch with my group of fellow tourists(whom were all Japanese.) I was given my own bulgogi pot, while the others feasted together. It felt like another typical lunch as a foreigner traveling alone in Korea. Regardless, the food was good. After that I went back to Seoul and had a nap-which is the best way to end a good day. To conclude, it's true that I really didn't see 'much' about North Korea on this trip, however it did become apparent that Iron Curtain was still closed. What I wonder now though is if the curtains will eventually rust and deteriorate? What will happen then?
Please watch my slide show from this experience!














1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Awesome Dan-o. Plus you gotta love the music. Tone