Thursday, June 5, 2008

A Satisfied Customer





Today is a public holiday. Because of this, I don't have to teach and instead I can spend my time blissfully writing away about my life here in Korea. Life is always good when I have a day off. As life is good today, and since I am in such high spirits, I feel obliged to tell you about some of the things that I like about life in Korea. There are actually many things about the land of Kimchi that I do adore, and kimchi is ironically one of those things. Since there are many positive things, I will share only one with you today. Hence, I will have many nice things to say later, so you can see that there are many positive experiences to have in this otherwise strange place. So with out further delay, it's time to spread the good news.

As I sit here writing on my dependable IBM Think Pad at Tom N' Tom's Coffee in Suncheon , I have to take a break to admire how attractive my latte looks. To the palate it's just an ordinary latte. The taste is average at best, but Koreans aren't famous for the taste of their coffee. Despite the normal taste, it looks much nicer than any drink you would receive from a barista from any of a plethora of coffee establishments in California. The Koreans are the masters of latte foam art. I am actually dumbfounded by how they do it. They won't just make a latte with foam on top; they keep going. When they are finished they are able to maneuver the foam and coffee together in such a way that they can draw pictures on the top of the foam in your latte. Today I have two hearts, which is quite admirable. A little girly for me, but it's what the girls like to make; it's as they would say 'cute.' Although It isn't the best I've seen, it's quite acceptable. Last week I had a latte and the top of the foam had a leaf designed on it. Other impressive works of latte art included a smiley face, and on another occasion I had a very fashionable checkerboard type design. This got me thinking. Would I get this kind of considerate, personalized service back home? Fat chance! In South Korea the host will always try to make you the customer feel important. Sometimes they go through more lengths to make you the customer-who is still a total stranger happy, then I would go through for my own friends. So, as I promised with enthusiasm last week to write a series of blogs about daily life in Korea I like, I think that a good start to that series would be to illustrate the impeccable customer service in Korea.



If you not a coffee person, you by any means will not be alienated. There are countless ways to experience the feeling of being a well-treated guest. For example, if you are at least a pizza person, and if you can manage to come down to Domino's Pizza, or Mr. Pizza downtown, you will be given your pizza as it were a present. They don't just sling a box across the counter and say 'here you are buddy,' as someone in New York would, but they will actually give you a polite bow and carefully hand you a box with a neatly wrapped red bow around it. It actually takes longer to open the box when you get home, but it just makes it more exciting for me. It is in fact like opening a Christmas present. Every day is Christmas here if you like pizza, and they do the same with boxes of chicken too if that's your forte.

So as it stands if you like to be treated well while you order coffee or pizza, then you will be hard up for disappointment. Although the more ubiquitous thing about customer service in this proud nation becomes more transparent when you go to a restaurant. The servers don't really seem that friendly, but you will usually be given upon arrival a couple of side dishes complimented with a pitcher of water. In Korea it's all about the side dishes. Even if you go to the cheapest establishment and buy only a simple rice roll, you will at least get some kimchi and yellow radish-granted it's nothing special if you've lived here a while, but it's nice to realize that it's actually not costing you anything. Although if you are only buying a rice roll, then you have to help yourself to the water. However, If you go a nicer restaurant, the side dishes will be a hundred times better, and you will have so many to chose from that there will be no room left on the table to eat. I usually eat one side dish completely and then use that empty plate to eat my main meal. Space is a scarcity on a table with so many Korean sides. Usually you will get so many that you won't eat at least quarter of them. It gets even better too. Once you finish one plate, and usually no matter how tasty or difficult that dish is to make, you can ask for more of the dish and they will dutifully replenish your empty plate. Weather it's some fish, tofu, vegetable, or in my experience I know a place that made something like an omelette pancake from scratch, which I'll usually request a pancake refill like 3 times, and in every instance it was brought with a cheerful smile.



In light of what was just said, there are many more places to go here where you will feel like you are the most important person in the room. Even when you leave the room and jump in a taxi on your way home you might still be treated like an honored guest. In some instances the taxi driver will offer you gum or candy while he halfheartedly tries to understand your broken Korean. Koreans like to give you free snacks. Even if you are a customer standing in line in a bank or post office you might get you free a yogurt, rice cake, or a cold drink in the summer. It's difficult to live here and not feel special. Living in Korea can be a bewitching experience. Why do I need to bother look in the mirror everyday and tell myself that I'm special? All I need to do is just walk into a cafe and stare in awe at my attractive latte and feel like the most special guy in town.

2 comments:

Justyna Najbar said...

i like what u wrote but think of another title. waiting for more:)

Unknown said...

Miller-time,

Interesting blog here. I like your writing style too - very personal. You story hit home because Molly, Maggs, and I went to a newer coffee shop in Santa Cruze two weeks ago called Verve. It is THE best coffee I have ever had (they roast their own), and wouldn't you know it? They do the exact same thing. I got a heart on one cup too - she actually said, "Here's your heart" - and then got some sort of modern (but cool looking) design on my second. They also buy white paper cups and then hand stamp each one with their logo and other designs right in front of you. When somebody really cares about what they are doing, and takes time to do the extra things, it definitely makes me feel special. I think I'd really dig that about Korea. Keep on bloggin' on.