Thursday, June 19, 2008

From A to B in Comfort


Today is Friday, so I am naturally chipper. To me-like many of us, Friday symbolizes cheerfulness; unlike the word Monday which sadly brings expressions to my mind like; misery, suffering, and 'I'm too sick to come in to work.' Despite my natural psychological reaction to Fridays, I have to say I am especially excited this day because I get to escape from Suncheon to visit my girlfriend in Seoul. She's amazing! She's attractive and has a special 'joie de vivre,' which I seldom have. So it's always wonderful to see her on the weekends, and moreover after the weekend, because it's gratifying to have someone to whine to on Mondays during my overly hectic workday. In addition to being happy about seeing my girl, I am also looking forward to the journey. I fully understand it might sound odd to read about someone being excited about traveling 400 kilometers. It might also come as a bigger shock to you to hear that this journey I am eager to embark on is on a bus. For many Americans the thought of riding a bus for four hours would be on the top of a very long list of things to avoid. Other things on that list would notably be drowning, getting attacked by a bear, and of course ordering a sandwich in San Francisco. Buses are typically hellish. They are an unfortunate part of life in America. So why am I charged to jump on one? Simply because the Express Buses in Korea are amazing for their comfort and affordability.

For around 25 dollars you can take an express bus to Seoul, which all come with reclining, padded, and really wide, spaced seats with comfy armrests. If you are tired, you will sleep like a baby too. In addition all the buses are designed with three seats per aisle; unlike most buses which install four seats per aisle. One side will have two seats, but I always try to reserve my ticket early so I get a solo seat on the opposite side. That way I can stretch my feet lazily across the aisle, turn on my trademark mp3 player and drift of into a pleasant Friday afternoon nap, which will have me rested for a night out among the buzzing Seoul folks.

The journey takes about four hours, but with traffic it can take up to five. Because of the slightly long journey the bus will always stop after about two hours for a quick rest stop. I usually take this as my cue to get out and head to the mini stop and grab some water and a twix bar. It's easy to do so because the rest stops in Korea are all laid out the same, which is convenient for me because I am terrible at navigating myself around places. For example, I am always walking on the wrong floor of my school where I teach, so when exiting the bus I also have to make a mental note to look at the licence number of my bus. This is because so many other express buses are stopping for breaks. Also, most Korean buses look so darn similar, so it's easy for an absentminded 'waygook,' like myself to get lost. The problem being is that the bus drivers are punctual about their departure times and they might leave you in the dust if yo get lost between the bathroom and your bus. So if you're traveling by bus here, take the time to remember your bus- at the least take a moment to recogonize your driver.


Traveling by bus in Korea is a blessing that is seldom overlooked by many people who have had the unfortunate opportunity to crawl slowly around America by the extremely unpopular Greyhound. What is ironic is you even pay more in the states to take a bus. A three hour journey by Greyhound can cost up to 60 dollars, and will get you only a five minute rest stop. In addition, Greyhound is completely lacking in any form of comfort which we are so endowed with in Korea. What a scam! So come live in Suncheon and get a girlfriend in Seoul. That way you can travel in comfort weekly.

6 comments:

Justyna Najbar said...

thanks:)waiting for u ~~~~

btw, i'm starting to realize that it's so easy to take so many korean things for granted...

Justyna Najbar said...

u should definately use Korean Air when u visit me in Poland;)

therese Mac Seain said...

thank you dan :) same for you

Naré-Krel Lis said...

Hey I'm going to school in SF right now, and I was wondering what was so bad about ordering sandwiches here.
Just started reading your blog, I'm Korean/American(That side came from Poland), studying animation in SF, and I've also been to Czech Republic. My mother taught english in Korea also...I'd walk in to class and teach kids the english names of Pokémon.
And I adore Taco Bell. I do a lot of healthy cooking so I can handle it.
I'll be reading further tomorrow, wouldn't be surprised if I found more parallels.
Naré-Krel Lis

dbmiller24 said...

I think I get a little sentimental about life back home ie. s.f bay area after living abroad for such a long time, and one thing I seem to always marvel at is how many choices there is in ordering a sandwich in California...what kind of bread? Do you what cheese? What kind? Do you want honey smoked, peppered, normal or low carb turkey etc...' After living in Europe and Asia, you get used to just having a turkey sandwich...btw, there is a great deli with a limited number of choices right off jefferson near Ghiradeli square

Naré-Krel Lis said...

Thanks for the tip Dan.