Thursday, December 18, 2008

Up For the Challenge Part 2


There are two words in the English language that have left me befuddled today when it came to noting the difference between the pair. The words are; ubiquitous, and quintessential. I get the gist. I not a genius, but I can use a dictionary. The former meaning being everywhere at the same time, while the later means a perfect example of something. That's fine, but in the context of the main idea of what I wish to expound upon in this anecdote involves a food that is a little bit of both of that pair of wonderfully sounding words. It's ubiquitous because; well it's everywhere that's for sure. It's at the market, at school, on the street, at home-in fact you would be hard up to find a location in which it didn't turn up. That's ubiquitous! Now the thing which I am writing about is also a perfect example of what we eat in Korea-it's very quintessential. It's the same food-stuff that I've nearly consumed twice daily in the last couple of years-give or take a few days. It's the same edible substance that would generate many negative comments in the school cafeteria if your tray didn't have it. It's also the same fare that is not only served up in a plethora of main dishes, but it's also served with EVERY Korean meal as a side dish you partake in. Actually, I can feel it in my stomach at this moment after my evening feed. For those of you who aren't living in Korea, I'll help you. That food is Kimchi. Yes, it's the ubiquitous and the quintessential thing here. I like to call it 'quintiquous!'

Anyway, for those of you who haven't had the grace of good fortune to sample this little delicacy, then I guess a short description is imperative. It's essentially spicy, fermented cabbage. Depending on the region of the country various ingredients are mixed with the leaves and then stored in a large pot for several months. The usual assortment of things that comprise kimchi are: cabbage, salt, red chili pepper, anchovies, and garlic. The Kimchi is then often used to make into a stew and to be served cold on the side with your meal.

That being said; When I came to Korea I should note I was a little intimidated by the exotic redness and distinct peppery, fermented taste. It took me a few sittings to get accustomed to eating it, and even a few more to develop a fondness for it. As of now I eat it every day. My favorite is Kimchi Jigae, which is a spicy soup with Kimchi, Tofu, and Pork. If I am feeling a little daring I'll devour a bowl of 'Chamchi Jigae,' which is the same but with tuna. However, I also enjoy it ala carte! I relish using the kimchi on the side to mix with my rice. That way I am able to curb the spiciness a little and enjoy the somewhat bland rice more. It's a win win!

Historically Kimchi isn't a new development either. I think chronologically it's technically older than Jesus. As far back as 2600 years ago a report was found in a Chinese text of a mysterious thing called 'Ji,' which pre-dated the later translation, which was later called 'Chimchae,' which meant 'soaked vegetables.' Later it linguistically evolved into what is today's Kimchi. Also, Kimchi used to be quite spice less. It wasn't until about 8 hundred years ago when the original method of soaking cabbage with salt water morphed into a method of preparing the spicier ingredients that give Kimchi it's notable flavor. That notable flavor of course is on the tip of every creatures tongue in curious place.

As I was writing last week, I noted that some individuals made themselves famous by eating copious amounts of McDonald's hamburgers and nuggets on a daily basis and then living to tell the tale; albeit barely. Well, for your information, I have been eating more than copious amounts of Kimchi here on a daily basis and I just want to inform you my dear reader that I am not only living, breathing, and quite contentedly typing away right now, I am in fact probably much healthier than those unfortunate souls who felt compelled to partake in their greasy challenge. I think they should consider eating kimchi every day for a while. At least it'll be healthier. That is because Kimchi is laden with vitamins. One serving has almost all of the required vitamin c you need for a day. It also has four or five other essential vitamins and nutrients (including a few from the a-z vitamin list that I don't really understand which vitamin does what.)

So as I mentioned earlier eating kimchi at first might be a bit daunting because of it's spiciness, however one must admit that it's easy to get an acquired penchant for this tasty vegetable. Since it's tasty for most of us-so tasty in fact that we eat it every single day with full compliance and little struggle, and since it's so darn healthy, it's hard to argue that kimchi is a bad thing. Since my blog is about good things in Korea, why not write about it? Also remember that it's ubiquitous, so when someone is taking your photo here, remember to say 'Kimchi!'
















No comments: