Thursday, December 25, 2008

Christmas in Korea


I don't think I have ever eaten so much in one sitting at any time during my existence on this planet in a single day. If you put the food I consumed on a scale, you would undoubtedly have to buy a new scale after breaking it. Actually I fear the simple act of weighing myself. I wouldn't tip scales, but annihilate them. That's okay though, because today is Christmas. After strategically skipping breakfast, I sauntered downtown for a giant potluck style turkey dinner with fifty other teachers living in Suncheon, where we partook in a messy affair of eating copious amounts of turkey, stuffing, potatoes, lashed with tons of gravy topped with many other regional dishes including; pierogi, garlic bread, smoked salmon stuffed with cream cheese, and even a few vegetables on the side. Of course, that was the second best part. The highlight in my opinion was the rich, succulent desserts that were ripe for the picking after dinner was consumed. In record time I devoured a immodest slice of carrot cake, and a even larger slice of pumpkin pie with a dollop of whip cream. However that wasn't enough to satisfy me, so I inevitably had to load my plate a second time. In this round I just plopped down a couple of heaping scoops of a pudding, gram cracker, crumbly dish that somehow managed to melt in my mouth like fresh snow on a floor from boots in a warm cottage. In the end the final tally was four plates; two lunch, two desserts, and one giant stomach ache in the end.

Currently as I am typing away at ten o'clock on this chilly evening, the pain from all of this eating is beginning to subside. Because of this feeling of relief I am able to take a moment to reflect on the past few days in Suncheon and recall with a sense of pride that I was able to enjoy a Christmas holiday filled with joy, friendship, cheer, a little wine adding some cheer assistance, and an amazingly large feast that was quite favorable to the taste buds. Additionally, something else that I think I experienced for the first time in a long time is that I didn't feel any inclination to buy any presents. This has been the first time, I enjoyed Christmas without buying or receiving a single present! In spite of not receiving a 'Red Ryder BB Gun,' this Christmas was a grand experience.

As a majority of Koreans don't really celebrate Christmas the way we western consumers do, I didn't feel compelled to make a list of all of those creatures that end up on the gift receiving end of my life every December. Instead of gift buying here, I simply burned a few Cd's for folks to give them a taste of my own holiday taste, then I simply donned a Santa Hat and became Jolly for a week. I must say, that I have been having a fabulous time this holiday. This past week at school we have been making Christmas cards, playing games, and rocking out to 'Ultra Lounge Christmas Classics.' Although Christmas is a multi-million dollar economy boosting holiday, I was just as happy giving the consumer life a skip. The only consumption I was happy to partake in was the stomach filling sort.

That's not to say that Koreans don't avoid Christmas. The neon lights here are blinding, the decorations are ubiquitous, the in-store Christmas carols are omnipresent, and Frosty, Rudolph, Santa and his gang of characters are in full force here. It's still a national holiday, which most Christians celebrate. As not all Koreans are Christan, a majority of Koreans don't really celebrate the holiday like most of us do when it comes to gift giving. Therefore there isn't that social pressure of feeling an obligation to buy presents for people.

Unfortunately I have noticed an increase in Christmas buzz this year around The ROK and in light of this it seems that Christmas related things have been much more convenient to find. There was only one or two shops that had Christmas cards last year. However, you can find in numerous shops around downtown where you can not only find cards, but other Christmas accessories like mugs, plates, stuffed animals hats, and other creations. You can even find shops with trees-plastic of course. Therefore I guess it's just a matter of time before the notion of feeling compulsed to buy gifts becomes a way of life here too. As Koreans develop quickly, it will almost certainly be a way of life here too. Regardless, I had a joyful, food centered Christmas with a few friends that was quite memorable. I hope you did too. Merry Christmas!



No comments: