Tuesday, April 28, 2009

The Show Must Go On!



So, it' s been two years of life in Korea. How can I even begin to write about the things I experienced, the people I had the pleasure and displeasure of meeting, the language I failed miserably in speaking, the donuts I consumed. Two years in Korea is a long time as a foreigner and to recount my entire existence as a teacher for two years in a single blog posting is not surprisingly challenging for me. It isn't easy for two reasons. The first one being is that I had such a wonderful time in Korea that it makes me sad just bringing everything to mind. The second, and more interesting reason is that my life here was of course so dynamic. Life was truly a daily adventure. In fact at times I felt like I was inundated with so much culture, hospitality, generosity, curiosity, and a daily life that offered enough challenges to make life seem like things changed from minute to minute.

I must say that however it's overall been a highly positive experience, and if one adopts a very positive attitude, then life as a teacher in Korea can be an endearing experience. Life isn't perfect anywhere, and Korea is no exception, yet walking away in my opinion leaves me with the notion that I should at least say thank you to numerous people, organizations, groups, restaurants, students etc. So that is my intention today. So in no particular order I am going to thank a few souls for making my life here an overall positive experience.

First of all I want to say thank you to the students of Jeil High School. Thank you for being there everyday and making me feel like an important person. Thank you for your politeness. Thank you for your participation, and most importantly thank you for your smiles. You will (mostly) all go far. Thank you for the teachers of Jeil High School for making my life so much easier than it could have been in South Korea. Thank you for all of your support, kindness, free food, patience, and smiles. Thank you to my Taekwondo teachers Haydar and Mr. Baek. Thank you both for being patience with my lack of flexibility. Speaking of patience, I also want to say thank you to everyone at SIFC. You guys were so supportive and I can't thank enough for giving me a social outlet, and for helping me develop as a soccer(football) player. Also, since I was a volunteer for UNESCO, I want to thank O Jeong Mi, for being such a dedicated translator for me during my presentations. I also want to thank Mr. Bahk, at UNESCO for letting me pour Soju for him. Thank you also Canadian Connection for hiring me in the first place. I have to say that I was afraid of daunting task of teaching children, so thank you for giving me an opportunity.

I also want to thank many people in the foreign community for giving me a social outlet. Throghout my tenure in Korea I learned that culture shock is a real thing, and it was great to have so many friends in Suncheon I could get to know. So thanks to everyone in the band; Jesse, Greg, Karen, Dan, Harold, Nina, and Jeff. You guys all rocked and I'm gonna miss playing with you. Thanks to Therese for all of her free dinners. Thanks to my old neighbor Kiwi Dave, for stopping by for coffees. Thanks to Eric for letting me watch TPB, and Liverpool matches in his apartment. Thanks to the boys Alroy, Daragh, Ben, Steve Marshall, Jose, Adam, Kai, Tim, Kevin J. Lee, Alex, Matt, Shane, Corey, B.T, Aodan, Ian, Simon, Mike Thompson, Wrestling Dave, Nebraska Dave and Fraser. It's been great knowing everyone, and I wish you all the best. Actually there was so many great people, that if I forgot you then shame on me, but thanks anyway if I forgot you. Thanks to my girlfriend, whom I am with now in Poland, but since we met in Korea at good ole' Camp England. Also, I had the good fortune to experience life in Seoul thanks to her, so thank you Justyna. Also, thanks Home Plus, taxi drivers, Dakgalbi, Elvis Bar, Speak Easy, TomnToms, Juliana's, Seoul, Suncheon, Busan, Gwangju, Kia Tigers, String Bar, Chunnam Dragons, Kimchi, Soju, Chilsung Cider, Samgeopsal, Gamjatang, The Foreign Food store in Gwangju, Korean customer service, KTX Trains, Korean Express Busses, Yeosu and you.

Thanks to you for reading this, and once again, thank you Korea. Kamsahamnida! Daniel:)

Anyway as the Queen song reverberates 'The Show Must Go On,' I believe that indeed it shall. Someone will take my place in Suncheon, and I think they will do a great job. Also, I will continue to update my blog regularly from Poland for those who might be interested. Instead of all things Korean, I am just going for the jugular and promise to dish out the incredibly misadventures of myself in Poland. I hope you are ready, because I know I'm not.

No comments: