Sunday, March 15, 2009

What You Wouldn't Expect!


I wouldn't consider myself a wise person; No way! The word sage doesn't immediately come to mind when describing myself. There is no advice in the realms of human interactions, financial matters, diplomacy, love etc. that I could even possibly imagine to impart to you dear reader. I have have however always considered myself a curious person.
This notion could even be backed up by stating that first of all; I studied philosophy. It was my curiosity about the big 'what, and why' questions that served as my reason to study this subject. It was a remarkable experience as well. However, no questions were ever answered. Seven years later sitting in front of my trusty IBM Thinkpard and looking back at my existence I can in fact confidently tell you another reason for being an inquisitive fellow is the simple fact that I have spent most of this last decade living in other countries. I guess many folks back home would probably regard me as the token 'expat guy,' or something similar in this nature. Regardless, I believe most of us 'expat guys' normally have some kind of strange inert sense of curiosity about the world, which transcends the more 'mundane' ideals that most people adhere to.

Regardless, As I am not a wise person, I shouldn't be in any position to expound on the nature of curiosity and wisdom to anyone. However, one piece of wisdom that I would like to impart to you is only three words. These three words are only intended for people living in Korea, or for the folks who are maybe considering making a jaunt over here in the not too distant future. So without delay here are three essential words: look both ways!

There is a statistic floating around among foreigners from a book that was published somewhere
at some time in the not too distant past, which states that the Korean roads are one of the most dangerous in the world. I have read some information on the subject, but I am unable to draw up any official statistics regarding the current road situation here. Despite this, I will only tell you to watch out if you are on foot. So even if it can be a bit dangerous, if you listen to the only wisdom I will ever give you ever, which is those three words, then you WILL be fine!

There is something else though about Korea that I quite like. In light of the previous warning that has been loosely issued, I have to say it is also a bit ironic. If you come here you will also quickly notice how many streets are somewhat created for pedestrians. Even in Suncheon there are several districts that are 'mostly,' pedestrian type zones with shops and restaurants blazing with their full neon signs nearly twenty four-seven. Of course there are cars buzzing about virtually everywhere, there are still a great number of areas to meander, poke around, shop and exercise your legs. There are the market streets with fish mongers, fruit and vegetable sellers, clothing vendors, fast foot stands, and even the occasional tarrot card readers can be discovered around town. One could spend a leisurely Sunday poking around sports stores, cafes, clothing shops, or sample many types of interesting, and amazingly cheap street food.

Even in ever moving, frantically busy Seoul there an uncountable number of these enjoyable semi-walking areas; Myongdong, Itaewon, Dongdaemun, Insadong (which is a wonderful area to check out traditional Korean items,) Hyeondae, and Sinchon are all areas that cater to the masses of street travelers. In fact, since the Subway in Seoul is so efficient, it must be said that traveling by foot is bar none the far the best way to travel in Seoul.

So as an unwise person, I can only offer one piece of Advice; in Korea look both ways! The roads are a bit chaotic, and for those used to the rigid traffic laws in North America might feel a bit uncomfortable when arriving here. I am no Aesop, but please take care and look both ways. Also, more importantly; if you come here I guess you could also remember the words written in the great book entitled 'The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy' : 'Don't Panic!' Maybe that's wiser!

2 comments:

Ben said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Ben said...

Hi Dan,
Nice entry and video. Good advice, though I think you're a wise bloke. I share the inquisitive streak as well.