Sunday, November 30, 2008

A Bigger Fish


For those who haven't been acquainted with me socially as a foreigner living in Suncehon would be quite taken aback by some of the nicknames that are thrown at me by basic default. At least it surprises me. Since I have a bass guitar, which no one else in Suncheon really does, I go by 'Music Dan.' Also I guess not many other people are from the San Francisco Bay Area down in these parts, therefore it seems that I have been labeled by some as 'San Fran Dan,' or just 'San Fran' for short.

The fact that I have never really lived in San Francisco is a detail that is easily overlooked or not seriously regarded as an imperative requirement for my title of resident San Franciscan. I am actually from a small town called Castro Valley, which is about 35 kilometers from downtown San Francisco. Anyway, despite my Californian breeziness, and knowledge of the San Francisco Bay Area, it must be noted that those things did nothing for me in San Francisco. Unfortunately I was just some guy named Dan, who wasn't interesting in San Francisco's eyes. There is nothing wrong with normalcy, but it's just so much more gratifying to come to Korea and to be regarded as diplomat from a place that is so wonderful.

I think it's a good thing too. I enjoy talking about my home and offering advice on places to visit and making recommendations on things to do and see. Because of my interest of making San Francisco seem attractive to Koreans and foreign residents alike, I volunteered for the UNESCO Cross Cultural Awareness Program in Jeollanamdo Province. I think it's quite a rewarding opportunity to go to schools and other venues to give brief but informative presentations about one's homeland. I have been doing this for about a year now, and I have to say that it's been quite an amazing experience.

What's compelling for me is the fact that I am afforded some opportunities to be regarded as someone to be counted on. Maybe that sounds odd, but the fact that I have spent most of my life swimming upstream as a small fish fighting to be a person who does have some experience and some things to share with the world, makes me feel like a slightly bigger fish for a change. For me it has been wonderful to come to Korea and be inaugurated as 'San Fran Dan,' to speak on behalf of such a majestic place. I even get to showcase my musical skills as well, since at the end of the presentation I usually give a short American musical demonstration. So in short I could also be called 'San Fran Music Dan.' However, just Dan will suit me just fine. It's nice to feel important for a change.

I think in life we all want to leave footprints. Speaking on behalf of myself at least, I want to exist in a place where my actions are noticed from time to time, while the results of those actions leave a positive impression with whoever happens to cast a passing glance or attentive ear. The fact that I was graced with the opportunity to act as sort of a cultural diplomat in Korea has been a endearing experience. The fact that it's so convenient for many of us foreign characters living here to partake in these types of programs makes it even more appealing to live here.


No comments: